Sunday, September 13, 2009

You

You are the Queen of Palestine
Goddess of Brooklyn
I’ve read your love for words
I have felt your hurt and your love for love
For that I love you!
I’ve met you in tenderness, underneath blankets of understanding
We cried over brooks overlooking rainbows
I have danced your tears in reminder of my own longing for justice
While you were sleeping, I placed roses in your bedroom of coral
I listened to your breath music, rhythm and blues
and wrote this poem in remembrance of all women all over the world
liberated and in peril of never tasting freedom or peach cobbler or jerk chicken or spanish rice or even the taste of tears
salty and bittersweet
you have written stories
they write Dizzy’s pain in the name of Coltrane
they scale bars and carry notes over the high seas (high c’s)
i received your letter from a bottle and drank myself sober
you’ve intoxicated my penmanship
if only i could sail the Persian for a virgin kiss
i would kiss your fingertips and script this vision in a tablet
to publish your spider web on the inner nets of every room of the rainbow

3 comments:

LKP said...

DAMN KEN!

YOU
NEED
TO
PUBLISH!

I'm glad you're sharing this gift with me, I feel TRULY inspired, blessed, and honored to read your work brother! Thank you!!!

RPoeta said...

I agree with LKP!! You must publish. I really enjoyed this poem. Was this an ode to Suheir Hammad (Palestinian born poet who performs for Simmons' Def Jam)?

You left me wanting to read more.

Thanks for sharing with the world!!

You should publish!!

binopoetlikeme said...

@LPK-Thanks for taking the time to read! It means alot :)

@RP-Thanks for reading and yes, it was inspired by my appreciation for Suheir Hammad. Also, I'm gonna publish a small collection very soon!!! YUP!!